Friday, August 30, 2013

First day of school 2013-2014

The first day of school FINALLY came.  The kids were as excited as I was.  I love my kids more than anything but I am just not cut out to have all of them at home, all day long.  I would be a terrible home school teacher!  Our family day to day activities are still dictated by Brody and Keegan's naps and since they never happen at the same time, it's hard to plan activities outside of the house.

Finn started third grade at a new school, Mount Airy Elementary.  Third through fifth grades attend there.  He has a morning and an afternoon teacher in 3rd grade and switches halfway through the day.  Mornings are English, Literature and social studies.  Afternoons he goes to math and science in the classroom next door.  We are waiting to hear about if he gets accepted into the Gifted and Talented program.  He is being considered for ELA in the G/T program.  I'm really proud of him for that.  I know that if he really paid attention he could also be considered for math/science as well.  It's only been 4 days of school and his two teachers have already mentioned to me that he is having issued keeping his chatting mouth closed.  :0)

Neelah is in first grade this year and has adjusted really well back into the routine of school.  She cried the night before the first day saying, "I won't get to spend as much time with you if I am gone at school all day..."  Bless her sensitive heart.  She loves the days when she goes to Art and will tell  you that she wants to be an artist when she grows up.

Savvy is LOVING Kindergarten.  Her teacher is brand spankin' new, this is her first permanent teaching assignment. She is young and energetic and I think she will be great for Savvy.  This is the first year that the kindergarten teachers don't have full time assistant teachers.  I hope that Savvy isn't too overwhelming.  We all know she can talk anyone to death.

This week has been really nice for me at home.  I have been able to really spend time with Keegan and have one on one time with him.  I have also been able to fully accomplish the tasks that I start.  I have made myself a list of all the deep cleaning I want to get done- the stuff that has been completely neglected for who knows how long!  I have spent the majority of my week paining the dining room chairs and touching up the dining room table that we stained and painted.

I love hearing about my kids favorite part of school was each day.  I love to have them come home and tell me all about something new that they learned.  I am SO THANKFUL that our experience with the local elementary schools have been so wonderful.  Every teacher that I have met has been exceptional and my kids have truly enjoyed.

Keegan has grown into the stage of asking "WHY?" to everything.  The funny thing about this is that where most kids want to know more than the answer "because", he will take the actual answer and then tell ME "because"  He is really starting to talk and use his imagination to play.  His go-to toy is any and all cars.  He is obsessed with cars and spends time each day lining them all up and driving them across the couch.  Another funny thing he says is "I love you too Mom".  This wouldn't be considered funny except that he says it first but includes the "too" as if he was saying it in response to me telling him that I love him.  We are starting to enforce the rule that "blanky" has to stay in his bed.  He is usually pretty good about it.  We don't ever have to battle with him on bringing it with us in the car anymore.  Slow progress...

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Anita Design's "Wild Daisy" kit.