Thursday, August 07, 2008

Change in plans...

P.I.H

No this is not a new STD

Not a new street drug either

Pregnancy Induced Hypertension folks!! Only I got it AFTER I had Savvy.

So last Sunday I was feeling a little crappy...odd since Saturday I felt like I had all sorts of energy and could do anything. I had a headache and my swelling got even worse, (yes I know you are wondering how that is EVEN POSSIBLE!). My wonderful Mom in law came over and was telling me about the symptoms of Hypertension and I had them (headache, swelling, stomach pain, spots in your vision etc.) but I wasn't all that concerned. After she left though, I walked the 400 feet to my new house and found my blood pressure cuff and took my own BP. Even after walking there my BP was only like 125/95. I had been running a little high in the hospital so I wasn't all that concerned.

Monday AM rolls around and my Mom in law Sharlene is back to drop off Amanda to help out with the kids. My headache is worse and apparently I looked like POO cause she takes my BP and it was 168/118! Can we say "lets have a stroke"? So off we go to the hospital. We stop into my Dr's office and he confirms my BP and admits me on the spot.

Let me explain a little. For those of you who don't know (like I didn't) PIH is most often seen DURING pregnancy. It is also more common in 1st pregnancies and in younger women. (I am not considered "younger" anymore in childbearing years since I am almost 30). Usually, if you didn't get it with your first pregnancy, you almost never get it with any subsequent pregnancy.

Not me. I defy the "usuals"

So the treatment is 24 hours of a drug called Magnesium which let me tell you is NOT a walk in the park. I felt like someone had run over me and then backed up to take a look. Chewing the Subway sandwich that my mom got me was too much effort. Also, I saw triple of everything which made holding a conversation with the nursing staff and my Dr very interesting. Then, after they give you the Mag., you also have to take BP meds and if your pressure drops to where they don't think you will stroke out, they let you go home only to be put on bedrest. BEDREST PEOPLE!!

Now I know that it sounds like I am complaining...indeed I would be if not for this one tiny little fact. I got sick enough to warrant ERIC COMING HOME!! I was glad that he made the decision and not me. I wouldn't have ever been able to ask him to come home. I love that he knows what I need without me having to ask. I love that I know that family comes first for him. How reassuring is that???

So for the next 3 weeks I will be spending more time on the couch, taking my BP multiple times a day and trying not to have a stroke. Another good thing about this fiasco is that Magnesium makes everything in your body dilate pretty much. Then you pee out SO MUCH. I went in to the hospital and when I left 25hrs later I was 12lbs lighter!! I joke that I went on the post-partum Magnesium diet to shed my baby weight.

I know that you have all been so concerned so I am happy to report that my ankles have returned to normal and might actually look a little sexy in heels! It is a Christmas Miracle!!

6 comments:

Bastianclan said...

OH Heather how scary. I am so sorry! that is so crazy you had P.I.H on your third child and being almost 30. But what a blessing that your husband is coming home. Yeah!!! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl. You and Kat had babies on the same day how fun is that?
Tina

The Powells said...

heather....what the hell!!! i calling you right now, i cant believe i didn't know you were going through this. im so sorry! i have been wanting to bring you dinner, so we will talk about when that can happen. love you girl!

Kathryn said...

Wow, sorry I am glad to hear that you are doing better, and things turned out to be the best. but I have to admit I find this kind of comical. I am just so happy for you that Eric is coming home. And even more awesome that he made the decision.
Keep us posted. Best wishes
Kat

Meier Family said...

Heather-
First of all congrats on your sweet little girl! We named them the same! (except I spelled it differently) I had to have magnesium with my first and I understand what you are going through----it is the worst stuff ever, and it burned so bad when they put it in my iv. Hope you feel better soon and soooo glad your husband is home to help.:)
Take care and keep in touch!
-Kelley

Lissa said...

Of course, can you do anything by the books?

Im sorry you have been going through this, you are such a trooper.

Nina said...

Hey Red, this is Joy. I was looking at this page that was up and saw a cute little baby. Congrats to you! We miss you up here I hope you know. You just brought such life and energy. I hope all is well and that your husband gets home soon. Best to you! Love ya, Joy

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Anita Design's "Wild Daisy" kit.