Sunday, July 16, 2006

Soggy Yard Sale

Today was "yard sale mania" on Helemano. (Helemano is the military suburbs we live in) So the community sets a day and everyone including their dogs' dog has a yard sale. There were 5 on our street alone. Remember way back in the Spring when I was complaining after having 47 consecutive days of rain? Well, ever since then, we haven't had barley any rain. Everything is so dry, there are fires all over the place. But of course, today of all days, it rains ALL DAY LONG. The day we have to lug all our sellable junk out to the carport to haggle away, it is so humid I didn't even need to shower. When it rains here in Hawaii, we sometimes get regular rain, sometimes sheets of rain all at once but mostly it just mists. Have you seen those mist things that you can install on your patio to beat the summer heat? They are like a constant squirt bottle in your face to keep you cool? Well today, it was heavy misting almost the entire day. Talk about 100% humidity!

Anyhow, we sold some stuff and are excited cause that is less junk we have to store in my mom's garage for 6 months. All the pictures are off the walls and although the Army sends movers to come pack us up, I have packed a few boxes myself like the control freak that I am. That was an award-winning run-on sentence. It is really getting real...7 days to go till flight time.

So the "jist" of this picture is that this sign was put up to advertise our sale. The phrase "we are getting out" doesn't make a ton of sense by itself to you civillian folk but to us, it says everything! Whenever I come on base and through the gate the MP's look at my ID card and tell me that it is "due to expire in a month, Ma'm" and all I say is "WE ARE GETTING OUT!!"

I have to publicly thank my husband for the opportunity to use that phrase. It alone brings so much joy to my life. He is truly the best!

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Anita Design's "Wild Daisy" kit.